• background

    Important Travel & Passport Information for ASNR 2018

Important Travel & Passport Information for ASNR 2018

Determine If You Are Admissible

If you have been convicted of driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs, you will probably be found criminally inadmissible to Canada. But as of March 1, 2012, you may be able to get a temporary resident permit for one visit without having to pay the C$200 processing fee. Find out more. More detailed explanation of the reasons for inadmissibility.

Normally, if you are inadmissible to Canada, you will not be allowed to enter. If you have a reason to travel to Canada that is justified in the circumstances, you may be issued a temporary resident permit.

If you have committed or been convicted of a crime, you have a few options.

What you can do if you are inadmissible to Canada:

Depending on the crime you committed, how long ago it was and your behavior since, you may be admissible to Canada again. You may be allowed to come to Canada if you are able to satisfy an immigration officer that you meet the legal requirement to be deemed rehabilitated or you applied for rehabilitation and were approved or you were granted a pardon or you have a temporary resident permit.

Deemed rehabilitation under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act means that enough time has passed since your conviction that you are considered absolved of your crime.
To be considered for deemed rehabilitation depends on the crime, the amount of time has passed since you completed the sentence imposed for your crime or whether you have committed more than one crime. In all cases, you may only be deemed rehabilitated if the crime would be punishable in Canada by a maximum prison term of less than 10 years. Find out more about deemed rehabilitation.

For securing travel documentation, please review the following regarding travel to Canada.  Canadian law requires that all individuals entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity.  For U.S. citizens, a valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements.   Please see the CBSA’s website for full details.

Other Helpful Links:  

Reminder:  Check with your mobile carrier about international telephone charges!